Friday, June 3, 2011

Coupons, Coupons and More Coupons!

Well, I’d be lying if I didn’t admit that the TLC show Extreme Couponing didn’t get my blood flowing and it is the reason I got back into utilizing coupons for my grocery shopping. But I learned about coupons like most girls, from mom J   
I’ve had a number of friends who have shown interest in how I “do it” so I figured this is the best place to lay out my game plan.  If you’re looking to spend only $10 a week or save 90% then you’ll be disappointed.  My goal each week is to save about 50-60% (more if I can) and have a small stockpile of frequently used items.  Please know, there are items I buy that are not on sale, out of need; milk, eggs, bread, fresh fruit/veggies, meat ( I stock up on good sales) or if there is something that is just needed and I don’t have a coupon.  I have a $250/wk budget but have been able to cut that to $175 or less and have a stock of items!   
                You’ll notice after about 6 weeks that sales cycle.  It will also take you at least this long to notice you are beginning to stock up on items.  The first 6 weeks are spent getting used to the process and you may feel like you are buying things you will never use.  Trust me, if you have a family you will.         

1.       I start by buying 2-3 papers each Sunday.  If you look at the upper left corner, it will tell you the amount of coupon value inside.  $500 is my mark…Less than that I only buy 2, more than that I buy 3-4.
 I spend about 2 hours clipping all the coupons and organizing them.  If you separate each of the coupon packs and collate them, it is much easier to clip and organize.  However you want to organize, find what system works best for you. I also look for expired ones as I’m organizing.  
2.       My ads come on Tuesday, so on Tuesday night I try to just “glance” over the ads.  I know my coupons and a number of items will stand out to me that I know I have a coupon for. 
3.       On Wednesday I sit down with the Ads and my coupons.  This is the time consuming part, up to 3 hours.  I start with one Ad, and go through by department; grocery, perishable, frozen, home items, hygiene and repeat for each store ad. This way I have only a small group of coupons in front of me at one given time.  This is the key to the whole savings process: 
Each item I purchase must be on sale AND have a coupon!! 
4.       Once I have all the sale items/coupons paired up I make a specific list for each store.  That way, I don’t get sidetracked.  I write the sale price and coupon discount along with bringing the Ad with me.  I’ve had items that are marked higher in the store than in the ad, but the store will correct it for the advertised place.
5.       I do take my coupons with me, sometimes I find a good sale item that wasn’t advertised. I shop on Thursday or early Friday morning.  I refuse to shop over the weekend, everyone else is.  Monday and Tuesday are good if you choose to wait until after the Friday pay-day as the shelves are restocked.
6.       Start with 1 store. I do Kroger, Tom Thumb and Albertson’s (they are all close) but it can be overwhelming at first.  Also, be aware that Kroger’s e-coupons do not double and can NOT be combined with paper coupons (link your card online and you can use them) 
Well, that’s about it!  It seems like a lot, but once you get the routine down, then you start to appreciate the savings and look forward to “beating” last weeks goal!   Rest assured, your SO may think you’re nuts.  Josh can’t figure out why we have 15 boxes of cereal, but at $1 a box why not?  Plus, with 4 kids (yea, Ashlynn eats cereal) we go through about 5 boxes a week.  

In Him, Forever Blessed...
    Jenny


2 comments:

Psalm139verse14 said...

Even though you've explained it to me, it helps to have it in print! Thanks girl. I've got my coupons and ad paired to shop. What about sites like www.kindgdomfirstmom.com and couponing101 ? Do you use them?

Anonymous said...

If you get an account with Kelloggs.com they've got a promotion right now where if you send in 10 UPCs from certain cereals they'll send you a gas card worth $10. Every little bit helps.