Thursday, July 23, 2009

July 23rd

I am so proud of Ian! The girls and I went on about our usual Thursday routine of watching "bubba" play ball from 10-11am. Unbeknownst to us, today was going to be playoff day as well so thankfully the weather was much cooler than usual! We stayed for all 4 games to see Ian and the Heritage Coyotes become the Champions!! And to think that all the other HS's believed that Heritage would suck this year since they are a new High School. EAT YOUR WORDS!! They rocked the place, running over Wakeland and Centennial as if their teams never showed up :) Ian had 2 TD's, 2 beautiful interceptions (one for a TD) and many blocked passes....he shined both offensively and defensively. What a player, and to watch him take a leadership role on the team makes a mom proud! He really knows how to be a positive influence with his team and friends, he really is a great young man and we are so proud of him. I wish I had pic's to put up, of he and the entire team. They all work great together and lift each other up, treating each other like family...so great to see.

This was a great way to mend from my emotionally stressful day at work yesterday. I am now 2 days into my CV Clinician role and loving it! Both days have been a bit "quiet" yet I have had some great exposure; 2 Rapid Response's, 1 Hypothermia protocol, and 1 STEMI. All went very smoothly, with order initiation taking minimal time. The STEMI was hard because it was not a good outcome. I realized for the first time that losing a patient in the unit is not the same as loosing one that comes in to the ER and passes in less than 60 mintes despite all of the effort's of the medical team. It broke my heart to bear the news with them, and yes I cried with them...who would want to hold back that empathy? It also gave me a whole new sense of respect for one of my preceptors who is undoubtedly one of the strongest, smartest, professional and empathetic/compassionate people I know. Watching her handle the entire situation has taught me just how important a role and how much responsibility I will be shouldering in the next 4-6 weeks. I pray that I can develop a bit more confidence so I can be somewhere in the realm of her aura. I look forward to my time with the other Clinician so that I can utilize her skill and confidence as I find my place as well. This is such a great role and I am so proud to be given the opportunity to fulfill it, I hope that my bit of "fear" helps me to become more confident and implement the protocols correctly and safely.

No comments: