Monday, February 20, 2012

First injury

Bunk beds. I know it conjures up horror for some parents, feelings that coincide with trampolines, horses and tree climbing. One of the many "not safe for kids" items, but in a larger family: almost a necessity.  Abby and Keara have bunk beds, full-over-full with a twin trundle; not a usual find and a very sturdy set. We are very pleased with our purchase. At 7 & 6, they are the perfect age.
Routine use of them includes putting up the ladder during the day as the top bunk is not for play. We also put the ladder away if Ashlynn sleeps on the bottom bunk with Keara so that, again, no chance of climbing.
Well, for some unknown reason I still can't figure out, I didn't move it last night. 10 minutes after lights out, i hear a scream to find Ashlynn fell from the top. My heart jumped at the sight!!  She was covered in blood, mainly her nose I realized quite quickly. Noses bleed profusely. I quickly assessed her, moving everything, crying and attempting to get up. I hurridly worked to clean her up, stop the bleeding and assess for any acute head trauma issues. Pupils equal, no large bumps, head not boggy, teeth intact, no blood in diaper, collar bones feel normal. Only issue seemed to be a mallar prominence on her wrist, and the nosebleed. I think I had her wiped down and assessed in 3 minutes, just in time for daddy as he doesn't do well with that kind of injury. I was about to drive her to Children's Plano when Josh said she was vomiting, call 911. So I did. Probably vomited from all the blood she swallowed, but we weren't going to take any chances. I prayed over her the entire way.
Turns out kids are resilient and bounce well. She does have a Buckle fracture (not really a fracture, just a 'bubbling' of the radius head) to her wrist and will wear a splint for 2-4 wks to protect it from further injury. Best fracture to have, most common in kids. Her left eye is a little puffy and bruised from the nose trauma. That's it. So many blessings and gratitude it wasn't worse!!! I applaud the staff at Children's for their care, an awesome group of doctors and nurses. We were in and out in under 2 hours. The last time Ashlynn and I rode on a stretcher by ambulance together was on the way to deliver her. I hope and pray this was the last.



No comments: