Tuesday, January 10, 2012

To Raise a Scholar

Homeschooling.  It’s a passion of mine. A desire of my heart.  It’s amazing how I have parented in 2 different decades, generations almost, and I find it such a privilege and responsibility to be my children’s primary Education Coach.  Teaching is not about instructing; at least it shouldn’t be.  It should be about fostering growth, knowledge and independence.  It should be about academia and not academics.  Children should be able to learn at a pace that suits them and should be able to expand and explore topics that interest them.  They should NOT be instructed towards standardized testing, be held back in their venture to learn as to “keep pace” with the class (which is geared towards the lower half of “normal”)

Abby’s 1st grade teacher resigned before the holiday break. I had no idea what to expect, as her previous teacher had not made any effort to assist me with Abby.  Abigail is my 2nd born, 1st daughter and there is 11 yrs between she and her brother Ian.  She exhibits 1st born tendencies and loves to learn.  She is at least 1 semester ahead of her class, already in the midst of second grade work.  I do a lot at home with her as she is quite bored with school and needs/loves to be challenged.

Enter Miss A J  Might I say, that never in a million years did I expect to receive the feedback that I did from her!!  I emailed her requesting her assistance with keeping Abby challenged and she responded with enthusiasm, a view of learning that paralleled ours, a passion for academia that is so refreshing along with a personal history in Gifted and Talented programs.  Score 1 for Abigail!!  She is currently “traveling” through Rome studying Roman Numerals and Latin, all wrapped up in History and Geography lessons. She had fun working on Tangrams this weekend, designing her own.  Mind you, she pulls out her worksheets all on her own free will and completes them no matter how long it takes her, because….she is ENJOYING it! She is being challenged.

Then why homeschool? You may ask.  Well, if I could guarantee that Miss A would be Abby’s teacher from now until graduation I might be okay with it.  But sadly, our public school system does not allow for teacher request. So next year we may end up with a mediocre teacher who has lost his/her passion for education and only want to teach to the test.  And this, my dear friends, is how the system fails our children.  It does not allow for a teacher to change pace for students, especially individually.  For they are held accountable to the No Child Left Behind  mentality.  Their own jobs depend on it.  I know too many teachers who are frustrated by it and those who have retired because of it.  I don’t blame them or their passion, I blame the system. And with our society hell bent on having everything materialistic (biggest and best) both parents are working to stay in debt so the child(ren) are left without parental involvement for 8-12 hrs a day. Think of prison, general population, and you get the picture. 

 

Behind God…Family, Family and then Family.  Please continue to pray, for I still do not have my husband’s blessing to move forward with homeschooling.  Well, he said I can if I can get Ashlynn speaking by her 2nd birthday!! Stubborn little girl has until 3/29!

In Him,Forever Blessed~

Jenny

 

No comments: