Monday, August 25, 2008

Do You Remeber When?

Today I sent my oldest child off to high school. Did you hear me, HIGH SCHOOL. I mean, where in the world has the last 14 years gone??!!?? I remember clearly the agonizing 2 hours and 41 minutes it took to push that boy out of my young body. 8lb 9oz 21.5 inches long. Now he is 120 lbs, 5'11" and growing into a very handsome, sweet, smart and talented young man. I think back over the years and realize what a blessing he has been to my life. He came along during very difficult times under not-the-greastest of circumstances and has become nothing short of amazing. I was a very young mother and wondered how in the world I would raise and support a young man and have him become all he can be. Well, I haven't done so bad and if had not been for Josh, who has taken on the role of dad in all sense of the word, we may not be in such a wonderful place. Ian continues to amaze us in how much he has grown and matured. Now as his mom, I want to keep him "little" as long as I can (he does look down on me now) and still want to push far away the milestones that are creeping up on us daily. Like driving. He wants a learners permit at 15 (which is only 3 months away) and I want him to wait until he is 16. Smart idea I tell myself. And Josh agrees. 15 and 16 year olds these days are way too immature to handle a large vehicle. We all see the horrific accidents regardless of any speed or alcohol involvement. But then I ask myself, "is this your way of controlling when he grows up? Or how he grows up?" and to that I answer: YES. I want my little boy to always be my little boy. I know I have to let go at some point, but now? Now is too soon.

I thank God for the ability and blessing to stay home with him as much as I can. I am so very grateful to his dad for supporting Ian in all he does. I am grateful that we can be present at his sporting events, get him to and from school functions, and be in the home when he is done for the day. We are a family. Despite the 11 year age gap, he adores his two little sisters and would move heaven and earth for them. They adore him. "bubba" is the greatest. To watch them all interact after a long day is precious.

So hear is to the past that has gone with the speed of light, and to the years ahead of milestones, memories, and much appreciated time together.

1 comment:

OMH said...

High School is the greatest - I have to say that I missed High School sporting events more than I think the kids did after they graduated!

How about a compromise a learners permit at 15 1/2 with the agreement of NO ACTUAL license until 17? Just a suggestion - that way he only drives with y'all in the car.