Wednesday, December 1, 2010

To Santa or Not to Santa

So I'm finding myself contemplating doing away with Santa.  I mean, in the "gonna find out whose naughty or nice"-sit on his lap-Santa is bringing gifts kind of way.  How we expect our children to believe in such a falacy is beyond me.  Look at all the commercials, TV shows, movies and mail!  It says nothing but "Pick the biggest, neatest, most high tech toys and ask mom and dad before calling ".  I like how my friend Julie does it, putting Christ first on the blessed day. Last night I was watching a repeat of The Duggars (I know, I know) and it was an episode I hadn't seen before.  They were exchanging gifts, but it was done with a Giving and Receiving concept.  "Santa" didn't deliver the gifts, the parents and siblings gave them.  Selfless giving with the intention of pleasing a child or parent.  Giving of a gift with no expectation to receive.  Isn't this how we should all be teaching our children to live?  To give of themselves when there is no "funding" to give, when we wonder where our own "things" will come from is when we should dig even deeper and give to someone even less fortunate than us.  For Jesus gave and gave, never wanting/expecting/desiring any thing in return.  He only asks us to pay it forward.  To do for another the way He has done to us.  "And above all things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness" (COL 3:14)

Bye-bye Mr. Clause.

No comments: